09:00AM, Sunday 14 August 2016
Top level athletes are set to be among the runners pounding the streets of the town in next month’s Maidenhead half marathon.
More than 2,000 runners of various abilities are expected to take part in the event on Sunday, September 4, as the half marathon returns for the sixth time.
And Chris Donald, director of organisers Purple Patch Running, has announced at least two formidable runners, husband and wife Phil and Emily Wicks, will take part.
He said: “We have got GB runner Phil Wicks who has entered this year.
“That will put some pressure on the guys at the front.
“It will be interesting to see whether he can break the course record.”
Phil and Emily won the Maidenhead Easter 10 in March, in which Emily stormed to victory just five months after giving birth to the couple’s son, Ryan.
However, Chris stressed that the event is open to runners of different abilities.
About 1,300 entries have been received so far and he hoped more than 2,000 will attend.
The race takes place around the streets of Maidenhead, starting in St Ives Road at 9.30am.
It is considered to be an ideal course of people hoping to get a personal best.
“It is a flat course,” Chris explained. “There are no cars and that always goes well for a faster time.”
However, runners who are more interested in the experience than breaking their records are welcome too.
He said: “The back end is all about people having fun. The middle is all the club runners.”
With the emphasis on the half marathon being an inclusive and fun day, families and spectators will also find the run enjoyable.
Chris continued: “We have always gone down the community route. “It is a great event happening in the streets of Maidenhead. We want to get people out and doing stuff together.
“Hopefully, this will be a different attraction.”
Visit www.purplepatchrunning.com for more.
Top Ten Articles
Members of staff at Wexham Park Hospital have tested positive for coronavirus, and the elderly care ward affected has been closed to new admissions for two weeks.
Two women who had tested positive for COVID-19 and were being treated at Wexham Park Hospital have died, the trust which runs the hospital confirmed today (Monday).