12:00PM, Thursday 11 August 2016
An inquest into the death of a man in Blackamoor Lane in March found he took his own life while suffering from depression.
Hendrik Walters, who was 45 at the time of his death on Thursday, March 24, died from loss of blood due to a stab wound to his right femoral artery.
The inquest, held at Berkshire Coroner's Court on Tuesday, heard he had been found dead that evening in the bathroom of his home. There was a plastic bag on his head and a police officer who attended the scene said there was a ‘substantial’ amount of blood.
Mr Walters, who grew up in South Africa, had been suffering with depression, the inquest was told.
Senior coroner Peter Bedford said on the day of his death Mr Walters decided to work at home, having said he had had a ‘restless’ night.
His wife, Carien Walters, also from South Africa, who he met in London in 2007, discovered four notes when she came back from work.
One, written in Afrikaans, said: “I have been depressed for a very long time. I should have accessed personal help but I did not.”
She called for a friend to come round and Mr Walters’ body was discovered in the bathroom.
They called the police and ambulance but paramedics found ‘no signs of life’.
PC James Large of Thames Valley Police arrived at around 6.15pm. In his statement read out at the inquest he said he noticed ‘bloody footprints’ on his way to the bathroom, and inside he saw a knife by the sink.
At the inquest, Mrs Walters said: “There was nothing out of the ordinary that I can think of that triggered this event. I did phone up his work to ask if there was anything that happened or if there were any problems at work but they were absolutely shocked.”
Mr Walters had not been on any medication and a toxicology report came back negative.
He was described at the inquest as a ‘workaholic’ who had moved to the area with Mrs Walters in 2010.
The coroner recorded a verdict of suicide.
Top Ten Articles
Members of staff at Wexham Park Hospital have tested positive for coronavirus, and the elderly care ward affected has been closed to new admissions for two weeks.