Thu, 02
20 °C
Fri, 03
20 °C
Sat, 04
20 °C

Football round-up: Smile on target as Maidenhead United maintain unbeaten run with 2-2 draw at Wrexham AFC

Wrexham AFC 2, Maidenhead United 2

Josh Smile smashed home a wonderful equaliser as Maidenhead United maintained their unbeaten away run in the National League last night.

Alan Devonshire’s men were trailing to goals from Jason Oswell and Luke Young in the second half, having taken the lead through Young’s 17th minute own goal.

But they dug in once again to earn a share of the spoils as Smile smashed home his third goal in four matches.

Devonshire made just one change to the side that beat Sutton United 3-0 on Saturday, with James Akintunde coming in for Bernard Mensah in attack.

And it was Akintunde that created United’s opener in the 17th minute, whipping in a great cross which Young could only direct past Dibble.

It could have been 2-0 for United on the half-hour when Smile was presented with a good chance, but his shot was blocked by Shaun Pearson.

It might have been a very different story had United got to the break with their lead in tact. But, five minutes before the interval they were pegged back as Young crossed for Oswell to head home.

Wrexham came flying out of the traps at the start of the second half, and Akil Wright will be wondering how he failed to find the net after he shot over not once but twice from close range.

The home side’s pressure eventually told, however, when Young exchanged passes with Ben Tollitt before coolly slotting past Taye Ashby-Hammond in the 64th minute.

 But Maidenhead weren’t about to let their unbeaten away record slip away and Smile made it 2-2 with a thumping strike from outside the area.

Wrexham might have won it in the closing stages as Wright was denied by Ashby-Hammond, but the visitors held on to pick up another precious away point.

They remain fourth in the National League ahead of Saturday’s home game with Dagenham & Redbridge.


Wrexham AFC: Dibble, Jennings, Pearson ©, Chambers, Carrington, Summerfield (McIntosh 88’), Young, Wright (Redmond 82’), Grant, Oswell, Tollitt (Rutherford 72’).

Subs not used: Szczepaniak (GK), Barton.

Maidenhead United: Ashby-Hammond (GK), Steer, Ellul (Davies 82’), Fenelon (Whitehall 70’), Comley, Cassidy, Nana-Twumasi, Akintunde (Mensah 64’), Upward, Massey ©, Smile.

Subs not used: Sheckleford, Kelly.

Attendance: 3667 (44 Maidenhead)


Slough Town 2, Hemel Hempstead Town 0

Slough Town made it six games unbeaten in National League South as they beat Hemel Hempstead Town 2-0 at Arbour Park.

The Rebels struck twice in the first half, with Warren Harris smashing them ahead in the 25th minute after good interplay by Dan Roberts and Max Worsfold.

Former Maidenhead player Worsfold then curled home the Rebels’ second from the edge of the area in the 41st minute.

Hemel went close on a couple of occasions in the second half but couldn’t find a way past the Rebels’ rearguard which included Mark Nisbet from the start for the first time this season.

Afterwards, joint manager Jon Underwood tweeted: “First half performance was as good as I’ve seen from one of our sides. And we were so professional in the second half. A massive win to keep our run going.”


Flackwell Heath FC 3 v 1 Reading City FC
Flackwell Heath manager Marcus Richardson rolled back the years on Tuesday night as the 42-year-old scored the winner against Reading City.

There is history between the two clubs as Richardson was formerly involved with Highmoor Ibis who disbanded and became Reading City FC in 2018. Furthermore, the Reading City manager, Simon Johnson, used to work with Richardson at Highmoor. This time the two locked horns as managers.

The opening pickings of the game were played at a furious tempo. Both sides having spells but being wasteful when in possession of the ball.
The deadlock was broken on the half-hour mark.

Flackwell captain Josh Baines with his second thunderbolt in 3 days as he hit a sweet left-footed strike past the stricken City keeper.

A deserved lead for the reds who’d been knocking on the door. Nine minutes later and referee Andrew Batten was thrusted into the spotlight.

Mo Davies got the better of full-back Phil Pryor and then hit the deck in the Flackwell penalty area after seemingly no contact at all.

The man in the middle paused, blew his whistle and pointed to the spot. He consulted with his linesman who would’ve had a better view of the suspected dive but the decision stood.

The penalty was converted and the teams went in level at the break. The second half started much the same as the first.

A good tempo being played by both sides but both lacking a bit of quality going forward. Both ‘keepers had been quiet all game. With 18 minutes to go the Flackwell management team decided it was time for their manager to get involved. Marcus Richardson replaced James Mansfield and took his position up front playing on the last City defender.

Eight minutes later and there were wild celebrations around Wilks Park. Josh Baines whipping in a delicious free-kick from 35 yards out.

The free-kick found the head of Richardson who cushioned it into the far corner and wheeled off in celebration. The players and bench joining in celebrations at the corner flag.

At the end of the game, there were 5 additional minutes of stoppage time. Reading City were camping in the Heathens’ half trying to find an equaliser. Susceptible to being caught on the break.

In the last minute of added time. Flackwell signing Khalid Simmo who is a former City player picked up the ball inside his own half and turned on the afterburners.

He beat three Reading City defenders and strike a bullet past the ‘keeper. Game over.
Flackwell now sit a respectable ninth in the Hellenic League table. They now turn their attention to their cup responsibilities.

They travel to Sutton Athletic on Saturday afternoon in the Emirates FA Cup. They then host Binfield FC on Tuesday in the Banbury Litho Floodlit Challenge Cup.

Flackwell Heath: Watkins, Ushiro-Lumb, Pryor, Burrell, Eaton, Edwards, Baines ©, Taylor, Mansfield (72’ Richardson), Howell (68’ Layne), Simmo. Richardson (90’ Sinclair) Unused - Muzinga & Gregory.
Attendance - 77


Other results:

Windsor 2, Ardley United 3

Milton United 2, Holyport 4

Burnham 1, Slimbridge 1 (Burnham win 5-4 on penalties) FA Cup.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles