Tue, 23
32 °C
Wed, 24
29 °C
Thu, 25
35 °C

Maidenhead United left deflated after Solihull Moors stage late smash-and-grab at York Road

Maidenhead United 1, Solihull Moors 2

Substitute Adi Yusuff tapped home an injury-time winner as Solihull Moors staged a late smash-and-grab win at York Road this afternoon.

The Magpies will feel they should have taken at least a point from the contest, after Adrian Clifton’s penalty late in the first half cancelled out Liam Daly’s deflected strike.

But their poor home form in the league continued as the Moors celebrated moving up to second in the National League, level with leaders Leyton Orient on 57 points.

For once United went toe-to-toe with a genuine promotion challenger at York Road, showing confidence from having picked up seven points from their last nine as they gave as good as they got for most of the game. 

Alfie Kilgour’s firm header was blocked on the goalline in the opening exchanges while Moors’ keeper Ryan Boot did well to hold onto a swerving James Comley effort after 19 minutes. The hosts then struck the inside of the post through a surprising source, defender Alan Massey thumping the ball onto the upright from outside the area on 26 minutes.

But, against the run of play, Solihull took the lead on 31 minutes when Jamey Osborne’s right-wing corner found its way to Daly at the far post. The defender controlled the ball and sent a shot goalwards that deflected past Pentney via a Maidenhead body.

The Magpies were gifted a route back into the contest when Comley was fouled by Darren Carter and Clifton rolled home his side’s first penalty in the league for 12 months, sending Boot the wrong way. Boot then had to be alert to prevent both Sam Nombe and Clifton getting in to make it 2-1 after hesitant play from the defence.

United started the second half well, with Nombe, Clifton and James Akintunde all getting into good positions in the Moors’ box, but their offensive efforts soon fizzled out as Tim Flowers’ side took control.

Carter’s 58th minute shot was bravely blocked by Seth Twumasi before substitute Jermaine Hylton struck the crossbar with Pentney well beaten in the 73rd minute. Only Rene Steer’s magnificent sliding challenge prevented Luke Maxwell from tapping in the rebound. Nathan Blissett had a couple of half chances, one header which went wide and one half-volley that Pentney saved but it seemed the spoils would be shared until the third of five minutes of stoppage time. After Clifton saw his spectacular overhead kick plucked out of the air by Boot the play quickly spread downfield and when Pentney spilled Osborne’s shot Yusuff was the first to react to stab home the winner.

Magpies boss Alan Devonshire said: “I’m gutted for them in there. I thought they worked their nuts off and that we were the better side at times. Especially in the first half. In football you don’t always get what you deserve and I definitely thought we deserved something from this game.”

Moors boss Flowers added: “This is a real rough, tough division, as you’ve seen today. Maidenhead have won three of their last four league games and you can see why. They’re a proper handful and we had to dig in and give every inch of what we’ve got to get something today. And fortunately we managed to hold on to the end and nick it. Credit to the players, do we need to improve? Yes we do. Is there more to come? Yes I really do believe that. But at the minute we’re finding ways to win games which is fine by me.

Maidenhead United: Pentney: Steer, Kilgour, Massey, Twumasi, Odametey, Upward, Comley, Akintunde (Owusu 69’), Nombe, Clifton. Subs not used: Alves, Bird, Peters, Keetch. 

Solihull Moors: Boot; Williams, Daly, Gudger, Reckford; Storer, Osborne, Carter (Maxwell 70’), Hawkridge (Hylton 60’); Blissett, Wright (Yusuff 78’). 

Attendance: 1,180


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Recent

Most read

Top Ten Articles