Mon, 23
15 °C
Tue, 24
16 °C
Wed, 25
17 °C

Football round-up: Tarpey breaks goalscoring record as Maidenhead United hold onto top spot

Weston-super-Mare 1, Maidenhead United 3

Maidenhead United maintained their one point lead at the top of National League South as Dave Tarpey's brace saw him break the record for goals scored in a season.

Tarpey first equalled the record when he fired the Magpies in front at the second attempt in the 42nd minute. His strike, which followed a fine save from Weston keeper Purnell, came against the run of play, not that any of the fans who'd travelled to the coast cared a jot about that.

League goal 34 would eventually be followed by a record breaking 35th, but not before the Magpies had been pegged back by Jacob Cane's sliding finish in the  62nd minute. 

It was the Seagulls' first real sniff at goal in the second half after the Magpies created a number of opportunities to kill off the game.

But, as they've done so often this season, United rallied and retook the lead when Sean Marks slotted past Purnell after taking advantage of some questionable defence from the hosts.

Tarpey drew a fine save from Purnell in the 71st but didn't have to wait long for his big moment. Two minutes later Purnell came for and missed the ball, leaving Tarpey with the easiest of tasks to roll the ball into the empty net.

Ebbsfleet won 3-0 at St Albans to stay in United's slipstream but the Magpies remain out in front with nine matches to play.


Hitchin Town 2, Slough Town 3

Slough Town survived a late fight back from their hosts to claim a 3-2 win at play-off rivals Hitchin Town.

Having lost 3-0 at Biggleswade in midweek the Rebels gave their fans the perfect response and their hopes were boosted by a couple of early goals for Warren Harris and Guy Hollis.

The game was barely a minute old when Harris took a touch to control Simon Dunn's cross and belted it past the keeper. One quickly became two in the seventh minute when Chris Flood's cross was spilt by the Hitchin keeper Johnson and Hollis gobbled up the rebound. 

The Rebels hopes of taking a two-goal lead into the break were dashed when a poor back header from Mark Nisbet was latched onto by Callum Donnelly who lifted the ball over Walker-Harris and into the net on 38minutes.

Nisbet's last action of the game came winning a vital penalty for the Rebels in the 58th minute. The defender injured his shoulder as he was dragged down in the area and James Dobson smashed home the spot-kick to restore the visitors' cushion.

Hitchin replied once more when Smith's shot found the back of the net after flying through a crowded penalty area but the Slough defence held firm to earn themselves a massive three points in the battle for promotion. 

The result takes the Rebels up to third, six points off leaders Chippenham who weren't in action today.


Thatcham Town 2, Flackwell Heath 1

Thatcham Town played more than 45 minutes with only 10 men but managed to come from behind for a 2-1 win over Flackwell Heath.

The Heathens, who'll have had one eye on Tuesday's league cup semi-final against Highworth Town at Wilks Park, took the lead in the seventh minute when the recently prolific Ben Sturgess netted his seventh goal in four matches after Joey Blount was fouled in the area.

Thatcham redressed matters when they were awarded a spot kick of their own, Shane Cooper-Clarke placing the ball into the bottom corner in the 25th minute. The hosts then took the lead when a corner floated into the Heathens net in the 30th minute. And, after James Tennant was sent off after catching Mitchel Woodward late, the hosts survived several nervy second half moments to take the points.


Ardley United 3, Burnham 1

Burnham's hopes of surviving the drop suffered a blow as they were beaten 3-1 at Ardley United. Mark Betts and Jon Palmer now have only four league matches left to guide the club off the bottom of the Hellenic Premier Division table


Holyport 1, Sandhurst Town 1

Second from bottom Holyport came from behind to earned a deserved point at home to Sandhurst Town at Summerleaze Village.

Port fell behind in the 10th minute but levelled things up before half-time. Both teams had chances to win it but Barry Rake will be satisfied enough with a point after last weekend's disastrous 6-0 defeat at Finchampstead.


Windsor 1, Sutton Common Rovers 0

After two disappointing results, and last weekend's wash out at Hartley Wintney, Windsor gave their home fans something to shout about with a 1-0 win over Sutton Common Rovers.

George Gould netted the game's only goal in the 14th minute from Robert Lazarczuk's pass.


Preston North End 3, Reading 0

A disappointing afternoon at Deepdale saw Reading lose 3-0 to Preston North End in the Championship.

The Royals fell behind to a quick North End break which saw Barkhuizen lash the ball past Ali Al Habsi in the 34th minute. Further misfortune followed when Horgan stabbed the ball home at the second attempt at the end of a poor first half from the visitors. Things quickly got worse for Jaap Stam's side when the ball pin balled around the Royals area and Barkhuizen poked home his second in the 49th minute. 

There was no way back from that for Reading. They remain fifth, four points above seventh placed Fulham who won 3-1 at leaders Newcastle.


Wycombe 0, Blackpool 0

Jamal Blackman made a vital penalty save as Wycombe collected what could be a crucial point in their battle for a play-off place at Adams Park.

Blackman saved well to his right to keep out Brad Potts' spot kick.

The Chairboys are 11th in League 2, three points behind Exeter City, the side currently holding the final play-off spot.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Shared

Most Commented

Top Ten Articles