Fri, 21
10 °C
Sat, 22
12 °C
Sun, 23
12 °C

Football Roundup: Burnham advance to Subsidiary Cup final while Marlow FC make a late comeback

*All games took place on Tuesday, April 9.

There was plenty of drama as local rivals Holyport FC and Burnham FC produced an entertaining Subsidiary Cup semi final.

The Blues ultimately went through 3-2, but the game was nip and tuck throughout the entire 90 minutes with Holyport seeing a late penalty saved that could have taken things to extra time.

Burnham got the ball rolling inside the opening ten minutes when Lucas Sinclair fired in from 20-yards, but a mazy run and finish from Daniel Rapley levelled the scores up.

The visitors retook the lead on the half-hour mark, albeit, controversially. Port were harshly penalised for a back pass and Oliver Harris capitalised, firing home the free-kick.

A slender lead at the break was further extended in the second half by Dean Allen from the spot, before Rapley made things interesting – lobbing the keeper with 15 minutes left to play, after the home side had a penalty shout turned down for a push on Fabian Driffill.

With the scores at 3-2, Holyport were awarded a late penalty, but one that Rapley could not convert, before they were reduced to ten men late on when Lee Ovens was dismissed.

Burnham held on to advance to the final, where they will face Malmesbury Victoria, who beat Easington Sports 1-0 in the other semi final.


Marlow FC produced even more drama, scoring twice in injury time to come from behind three times in the match on their way to a 4-3 win against Molesey.

In a tight first half with no goals, Molesey opened the scoring after 52 minutes through Joe Yeates but were pegged back my Marlow captain Chris Ovenden just two minutes later.

Dre Grobler gave the home side the lead once more, but James Clark equalised for Mark Bartley’s men with 12 minutes to go.

But Marlow yet again were forced to come from behind when Ryan Marklew scored with six minutes remaining. Substitute Marcus Mealing looked to have claimed Marlow a hard fought point with his 90th minute penalty, but deep into injury time the powerful forward struck again to give his side an important three points, after Bracknell fell to defeat at Egham.


Flackwell Heath produced a battling performance to earn a point against high-flying Bishops Cleeve, scoring late through Adam Thomas to earn a 1-1 draw.

After a disciplined first half performance from the young Reds, their mettle was tested after Jack Watt opened the scoring for Bishops Cleeve with a cleverly taken goal.

As the clocked ticked towards the final minutes, Thomas popped up to sweep the ball past the Mitres ‘keeper to earn the Heathens a well deserved point.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Paid Stories

Most read

Top Ten Articles