Tue, 26
12 °C
Wed, 27
12 °C
Thu, 28
14 °C

Barratt heads home on 88 minutes to earn Maidenhead United a dramatic point at Maidstone United

Maidstone United 1-1 Maidenhead United

Substitute Sam Barratt said it was ‘a great feeling’ to score a historic goal to earn the Magpies a point at Maidstone United.

In netting the equaliser on 88 minutes, Barratt became the scorer of the Magpies’ first ever goal in the National League.

"I didn't really think about it but our kit man reminded me and said you'll go down in history for it," Barratt said.

"It's a great feeling to come off the bench to score and get the draw."

The former Bracknell Town winger was then inches away from netting a winner for the Magpies at the death. 

"I looked up and saw the players moving in the middle," he said.

"I just wanted to put it into a dangerous spot. The keeper did well to tip it onto the bar.

“It dropped a bit too quickly for Tarps (Dave Tarpey), I don't think he was expecting it to come back to him, but it was another shot against the bar.

"So, yeah we came close. It would have been nice to walk away with three points."

The Magpies had started the match well, although chances were at a premium, before the Stones took the lead on 51 minutes when Joe Piggot expertly curled home a free-kick.

The Magpies rode their luck after this at times, but never lost their composure at the back, eventually levelling when Barratt netted with a near post header.

Full report and quotes to follow.


National League results:

AFC Fylde 2-2 Boreham Wood

Bromley 0-0 Eastleigh

Dagenham & Red 2-0 Barrow

FC Halifax Town 0-2 Aldershot Town

Guiseley 2-2 Ebbsfleet United

Hartlepool Utd 0-1 Dover Athletic

Maidstone Utd 1-1 Maidenhead Utd

Solihull Moors v Chester – postponed

Sutton Utd 2-0 Leyton Orient

Torquay Utd 0-0 Tranmere Rovers

Woking 2-1 Gateshead

Wrexham 0-2 Macclesfield Town


Flackwell Heath 5-0 Burnham

Liam Tack scored the earliest goal of this season’s FA Cup when Flackwell Heath overcame Hellenic League rivals Burnham 5-0 at Wilks Park on Friday night.

The Heathens were comfortable in this Extra Preliminary Round clash against familiar foes when Dean Allen and then Jamie Essex netted either side of half-time.

Further second-half goals from Essex again and finally Dan Molloy capped a dominant performance from Paul Shone’s team.

The Heathens host Didcot Town in the next round on Saturday, August 19 at Wilks Park.
Windsor 1-4 Wembley

Windsor were knocked out of the FA Cup after a Zaied Sabti hat-trick earned visitors Wembley an ultimately solid victory.

Sabti gave Wembley the lead on 17 minutes and which was the only goal of the first half.

He doubled his, and his team’s, tally on 56 minutes before completing his hat-trick 13 minutes later from the penalty spot.

Captain Luke Brooks-Smith netted, also with a spot-kick, to give the hosts a slim glimmer of hope before Lawrence Olorunfemi’s goal in time added ensured success.
QPR 2-0 Reading

The Royals lost their Championship opener to two Conor Washington goals, and finished the match with 10 men.

Washington opened the scoring on 22 minutes with a header at the back post.

He doubled his total from the spot on 59 minutes after Tiago Ilori dragged down Pawel Wszolek and was shown the red card.

Wycombe Wanderers 2-2 Lincoln City

The honours were shared at Adams Park as all the action in this League 2 opener came either side of half-time.

Matt Green gave Lincoln the lead on 31 minutes only for Luke O’Nein (37) and Joe Jacobsen (41) to put the hosts in the driving seat.

Just four minutes into the second half, Jopsh Ginnelly scored for what was the last goal of an entertaining match.


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Recent

Most read

Top Ten Articles