Thu, 06
26 °C
Fri, 07
32 °C
Sat, 08
31 °C

Marlow United beat Flackwell Heath on penalties to advance in Floodlit Cup

Alan McKie


Flackwell Heath 0, Marlow United 0 (Marlow United progress 4-3 on penalties). Floodlit Cup 2nd round

Marlow United progressed past Flackwell Heath in the Floodlit Cup after a tense penalty shoot-out victory at Wilks Park on Tuesday night.

On a wet and windy night the Flying Blues avenged their earlier season defeat to Premier Division Flackwell in the League Cup.

After a goalless draw – in which the Heathens felt they had a perfectly good goal ruled out – United held their nerve to go through 4-3 in a shoot-out.

The victory was all the more remarkable because the Division 1 East side was missing six of its regular starters due to injuries, suspensions and work commitments.

The visitors might have broken the deadlock in the eighth minute, when Alfie Lucas hit the post with a curling effort. The home side settled after their early scare, creating a number of decent chances, but with Adam Davies covering every blade of grass they were thwarted at every turn. Alan McKie also saved Marlow with a superb last-ditch tackle to prevent Howell from scoring for Flackwell just before the break.

Marlow looked the more composed of the two sides as the second half progressed, despite losing Ollie Flint to injury in the 53rd minute.

On 76 minutes the home side thought they’d broken the deadlock when Phillips headed goalwards from Josh Baines’ corner. Lucas hooked the ball off the goalline with several Flackwell players insistent the ball had crossed the line. It was a close call but the referee waved away the home side’s appeals. A video of the incident appeared to show the ball had crossed the line.

In the shoot-out Adam Dickens, Dan Jordan and McKie all scored for Marlow, with Flackwell replying in kind. Lucas’ spot-kick was saved before Matt Cannings saved from Phillips to keep the score at 3-3.

Adam Davies converted Marlow’s fourth, ramping up the pressure on Flackwell’s Cameron Gray whose first kick was saved by Cannings, only for the keeper to be adjudged to have moved too soon. Gray was given the opportunity to retake his kick but sent his second attempt over the bar.

United will travel to Kidlington Development in the final 16 of the competition.

Flackwell will look to bounce back at Tuffley Rovers on Saturday.  Marlow visit AFC Aldermaston in Hellenic League Division 1 East on Saturday. 

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Ten Articles