Sat, 18
6 °C
Sun, 19
6 °C
Mon, 20
6 °C

Flackwell Heath fight back to rescue a point against league newboys Easington Sports

Tom Burton

Flackwell boss Marcus Richardson


Flackwell Heath 2, Easington Sports 2

Flackwell fought back from 2-0 down to rescue a point against Hellenic Premier Division new boys, Easington Sports, last night (Tuesday).  

In hindsight, the away side should’ve taken all three points and will be frustrated to head back to Oxfordshire with a share of the points.

The early knockings of the game were quiet. Both sides lacking a bit of quality whilst enjoying prolonged spells of possession. Flackwell began to overpower Easington after as the away side were camped in their own half for much of the first half.

Easington were denied a penalty on 25 minutes after Flackwell ‘keeper Watkins clattered into Joe Eyre after a short headed back pass from Gregory.

The referee waved away the shouts from the away side, deeming that Watkins had won the ball fairly.

In the latter stages of the half, the Heathens turned up the heat on Easington. Playing some lovely two touch football which resulted in young Ashley Howell baring down on the ‘keeper. His strike, low and hard, was smartly saved by Rimmer in goal.

At the break, it was 0-0. 

The game restarted and on 53 minutes the away side were rewarded for their resilience in the first half.

Tom Smith chasing down a short back pass from usually reliable Josh Edwards. Getting there ahead of Watkins he tapped in and wheeled away in celebration. A deserved lead.

Marcus Richardson immediately sprung into action, making a double substitution. Bringing last seasons top scorer Adam Thomas and Simeon Weekes on for Sinclair and Layne.

Thomas made an instant impact, Flackwell have missed his attacking input for the past couple of weeks.

The away side doubled their lead on the 80th minute as Josh Rose sent a bullet header from a corner past Watkins.

An uphill battle for the Heathens to salvage anything from the game.

No sooner had the Heathens had kicked off the ball was in the Easington net. Adam Thomas chesting, swivelling and getting a shot off which the Easington ‘keeper struggled to deal with, fumbling the ball into the back of his own net.

Two minutes later the Heathens were level. Again with the help of an Easington player. Baines played a delicious ball into the box which Luke Swann could only turn past his own ‘keeper.

A lucky break for Flackwell who didn’t deserve to be level.

The last 10 minutes were an onslaught. The home side forcing Easington back into their own penalty area.

James Mansfield who had come on for Gregory in the final minutes was making a good impact moving the ball, probing the Easington back four.

After 5 and a half minutes of added time, the sides couldn’t be split and Flackwell will be relieved they took a point from the game.

A scrappy game which could’ve easily left a sour taste in the Heathens mouth.

The reds now turn their attention to their FA Cup game on Saturday against Newport Pagnell FC.

They then travel to the Gore on Monday to play Burnham, providing neither Burnham or Flackwell have to play an FA Cup replay.


Flackwell Heath: Watkins, Pryor, Gregory (Mansfield ‘71), Burrell, Ceesay, Edwards, Baines ©, Taylor, Sinclair (Thomas ‘56), Howell, Layne (Weekes ‘56).

Easington Sports FC: Rimmer, Snelling, Locker, Rose, Swann, Watkin, Stidder, Smith James (Walton ‘92), Eyre Convey.

Attendance - 48


Other results: 

Windsor 5, Holmer Green 1

Burnham 0, Binfield 2

Marlow United 3, Didcot Town Development 1

Staines Town 2, Marlow 2


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Paid Stories

Most read

Top Ten Articles