Sat, 18
6 °C
Sun, 19
6 °C
Mon, 20
6 °C

Taylor nets a brace as Flackwell Heath pick up first win of the season

Tom Burton

Manager Marcus Richardson


Flackwell Heath 2, Holmer Green 0

Flackwell Heath notched their first win of the season on Tuesday night, easing past Holmer Green at Wilks Park with two goals from Jack Taylor.

The scene was set as a torrential downpour drenched the lush green pitch at Wilks Park 20 minutes before kick off.

The hosts lined up with Marcus Richardson making one change to the side that fell to Lydney at the weekend.

The skipper Dan Bailey omitted after breaking a toe against the Gloucestershire side. Phil Pryor was his replacement.

The game started brightly and Flackwell’s fast start was rewarded after just four minutes.

A free kick lofted into the area was acrobatically pulled back by Leius Sinclair and Flackwell midfielder Jack Taylor prodded home from 5 yards.

Flackwell’s scintilating start was almost rewarded again after a quarter of an hour. Stand in skipper Josh Baines broke through the Holmer line and squared to young Ashley Howell who tapped in but was somehow deemed to be offside.

Holmer weren’t seeing any respite from the Flackwell onslaught. A deep corner was whipped into the area and debutant Phil Pryor could only hammer his header onto the crossbar.

Flackwell doubled their lead nine minute before the break. The pre match shower coming into play this time. Baines striking a free kick which skipped up at the Holmer ‘keeper and hit him square in the face. Jack Taylor was quick to react to scramble the loose ball home. Flackwell went in at the break two goals to the good, nothing less than they deserved.

After the restart young Ashley Howell picked the ball up on the right hand side and jinked his way down the flank. He then snapped inside and left the Holmer full-back for dead before curling just wide of the far post.

Holmer warmed themselves into the second half, playing some lovely football at times which ultimately should’ve been rewarded with a goal.

History was made on 81 minutes as the Holmer Green skipper became the first player to be sin binned for dissent at Wilks Park. A smooth process which left the Holmer skipper furious as he trudged off.

Flackwell should have put the game out of sight. Full back Tyler Gregory, who was making his 50th appearance for the Heathens, struck an outside of the boot cross which was destined for substitute Mo Ceesay’s head, but the Holmer ‘keeper thwarted him with an acrobatic interception.

Flackwell travel to Hertfordshire on Saturday in the Extra Preliminary Round of the FA Cup. They play Spartan Premier side; Oxhey Jets.


Flackwell Heath: Watkins, Eaton, Gregory, Burrell, Pryor, Edwards, Baines (c) , Taylor, Sinclair (Ceesay 68’), Howell, Layne (Ushiro-Lumb 75’).

Attendance - 98


Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Paid Stories

Most read

Top Ten Articles