Football round-up: Hard-working Holyport suffer narrow defeat at Egham Town

Egham Town 1, Holyport 0

Holyport produced another committed display against a side challenging towards the top end of the table but, for the second game in succession, they failed to pick up any points.

Hosts Egham, who started the day in sixth place, snatched all three points thanks to Danny Campion’s second half strike.

Holyport may be bottom of the Combined Counties Premier Division North, but they've noticeably improved in recent weeks, clinching back-to-back wins over Wokingham & Emmbrook and Spelthorne Sports before losing narrowly to fourth-placed Abbey Rangers.

This afternoon’s defeat, to a side that have won five of their last six in all competitions, is further evidence of the progress being made by the squad under Derek Sweetman and Sam Lock. Both will be hopeful they can guide the side off the bottom of the table and away from relegation danger in the coming weeks and months.

The visitors began the match on the back foot, with the home side heading a decent opportunity wide in the opening minutes before scrambling another effort just wide.

They had a golden chance to take the lead just before the break when Holyport conceded a penalty, however, it was blazed over and Sweetman's side went in level pegging.

Holyport had their moments either side of the interval with George Lock smashing one chance wide and Matt Burnett going close in the 50th minute.

However, Campion got the hosts' all-important goal in the 62nd minute and they held out for a victory that lifts them to fifth in the table.

Holyport remain bottom, a point adrift of Tadley Calleva and Wokingham & Emmbrook ahead of their scheduled home game with leaders Hanworth Villa at Summerleaze Village on Monday, December 27 (11.30am kick-off).


Abbey Rangers 5, Burnham 0

Burnham suffered a second half collapse as their recent fine form was ended by today's 5-0 defeat at Abbey Rangers.

The Blues trailed by just a single goal at the break after an even first period. Postance opened the scoring for the hosts in the 19th minute, but the visitors' game plan fell apart after the interval. Tom Neal headed home the second before Cooper-Smith (two) and Kirby, from the spot, completed the convincing win. Burnham drop to 13th in the table after being leapfrogged by Reading City who were 3-2 winners over Ascot United.

Burnham will have a while to lick their wounds. They're not scheduled to play again in the league until January 8, when they visit the current leaders Hanworth Villa.


Dunstable Town 1, Flackwell Heath 1

A late goal from hosts Dunstable Town denied Flackwell Heath a second straight win in the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division.

The Heathens came within five minutes of victory, after Aiden Higgs scored on his league return with a clever far post header in the 76th minute.

But Dunstable hit back in the 85th minute. A free kick from the edge of the area was deflected out for a corner and the resulting set piece was headed home at the back post.

Despite the disappointing end to the game, it's been a week of celebration for the club after chairman Terry Glynn was given the all clear from Prostate cancer having battled it not once but twice.

Flackwell, currently eighth in the table but with games in hand on the sides just above them, get back to league action at home to Broadfields United on Tuesday, December 28, 3pm kick-off.

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Editor's Picks

Most read

Top Articles