11:00AM, Saturday 15 October 2016
A First World War project at a school has been given a funding boost by the Royal Borough.
Braywood CE First School has been given £6,000 to use to refurbish the Oakley Green churchyard and carry out a research project to find out more about the war’s soldiers that used to live in the community.
The funding was awarded by the council under the Schools Participatory Budgeting Scheme which launched in April.
Susan Calvert, executive headteacher, said the First World War project will run until 2018.
She added: “Since the commemoration of the First World War we have been researching the army heroes in our area and especially the soldier buried in the graveyard on the school’s site.
“We are drawing on research done by local historians Sandra Kiely and Steve Rolls about the soldiers commemorated on the Braywood War Memorial.
“We have had memorial benches placed adjacent to the new Oakley Green and Fifield Remembrance Obelisk and hope to use the money from this grant to continue the project by helping with the upkeep of the graveyard, new planting and a suitable walkway. This project has made history come alive by talking about local men and the nature of their lives.”
The scheme, which is available to all state-funded schools within the borough, sees schools given up to £6,000 to spend on a specific project.
Bray parish councillor Chris Yates spoke about the new memorial at the Parish Conference on Monday in Windsor Guildhall.
He talked about the project, which took around 18 months to
complete, and included a trip to Yorkshire to source out the stone.
The memorial, which was installed at the end of 2014, was used for two events last year including the VE Day and Remembrance memorials.
The school in Oakley Green Road will now continue the upkeep of the churchyard as part of its project.
Cllr Yates said: “We’re delighted the school got the money for the project from the borough. They’re good partners.”
Visit www.rbwm.gov.uk for details of the Schools Participatory Budgeting Scheme.
Top Ten Articles
Members of staff at Wexham Park Hospital have tested positive for coronavirus, and the elderly care ward affected has been closed to new admissions for two weeks.