06:00PM, Saturday 08 October 2016
A parish councillor will be heading out to Kenya next week as an ambassador for Save the Children.
Sandra Kiely, who represents the Bray ward on Bray Parish Council, will be visiting projects in the desert area of Turkana in northern Kenya during the six-day long trip.
She was selected as a Save the Children ambassador earlier this year along with three others who will also be flying out with her.
The group will visit an emergency nutrition project, a school and a savings and loans project supporting the economic empowerment of women.
She said: “I’m really looking forward to going, and I’ll be flying out next week.
“We’ll be getting a flight from Heathrow to Nairobi and then the following day I fly to Lod-war in Turkana and from there travel by jeep for five hours out into the desert to the region where the projects are located.
“I’ve led expeditions all my life so I’m used to the travelling.”
The former maths teacher, who lives in Bray, found out about the ambassador scheme earlier this year.
“I left a legacy to Save The Children in my will, it’s a charity I’ve always been involved with,” she said. “They wrote to everyone that has left them a legacy and said they were looking for ambassadors so I applied, and went for an interview.
“I think they chose me because I talk a lot, and we’re going out there to engage with the locals.
“I am really looking forward to seeing some of their projects which are enabling the wonderful people of this remote region to improve their lives.”
Sandra worked in television before becoming a maths teacher at Beaconsfield High School in 2003. She retired in 2012.
As a teacher she led students on backpacking expeditions in Rajasthan and Ladakhin in India.
She said: “I told one of my ex-students that I was going to northern Kenya for this trip and she wasn’t surprised, they expect it from me.
“I’ve been lucky enough to have spent my life travelling to amazing places.”
Visit www.savethechildren.org.uk/ for more information about the projects.
Top Ten Articles
Members of staff at Wexham Park Hospital have tested positive for coronavirus, and the elderly care ward affected has been closed to new admissions for two weeks.
Two women who had tested positive for COVID-19 and were being treated at Wexham Park Hospital have died, the trust which runs the hospital confirmed today (Monday).