Sixteen people who volunteer for Windsor and Maidenhead's council services will be part of sporting history when they take their seats at the 2012 Games at Dorney Lake.
Two more will be in the audience for the spectacular opening and closing ceremonies at the Olympic Stadium in London.
They are the winners of the Royal Borough’s free Big Society draw for Olympic tickets, open to everyone who volunteers for council services such as libraries, the Windsor and Royal Borough Museum, Adopt-a-Street, Care Bank and schools.
The council had 42 tickets available and decided the best way of using them was to pay tribute to its volunteers.
More than 200 entered the draw and the winning names were drawn by borough Mayor, Cllr Colin Rayner.
Winner of two tickets to the opening ceremony is Jackie Kitchen, of Maidenhead, who is a governor at All Saints’ Primary School in Maidenhead. She said: “I just couldn’t believe it when I heard from the council I had won. We are a family of sports lovers and it is just thrilling to be part of such a spectacular event.”
Off to the closing ceremony will be Jonathan Grant, also of Maidenhead, who is a member of the Adopt-a-Street scheme.
Winners of the tickets to rowing and canoe events at Eton Dorney (and the services where they volunteer) are:
- Samuel Cannon (libraries), Eton Wick
- Margaret Irons (container library), Maidenhead
- Sonia Robinson (school governor), Windsor
- Laurence Benbow (Duke of Edinburgh Award at Old Windsor Library), Old Windsor
- Andrew Seymour (Adopt-a-Street), Windsor
- Laura Armitage (school governor), Windsor
- Iain Oldcorn (Adopt-a-Street), Ascot
- Emma Shepherd (school governor), Maidenhead
- Claire Cornish (Adopt-a-Street), Windsor
- Jo Greengrass (compost awareness campaigns), Maidenhead
- Phillip Neal (Adopt-a-Street), Maidenhead
- Susan Leighs (school governor), Cookham
- Katherine Allen (school governor), Eton
- Lisa Bull (school governor), Maidenhead
- Laurence Armstrong (school governor), Maidenhead
- Sue Hailes (Care Bank), Maidenhead
- Jean Todd (Adopt-a-Street and Care Bank), Windsor
- Sally Deal (school governor), Maidenhead
Keep up-to-date with the Olympics by visiting our dedicated page and by following us on Twitter @maidenheadads and @expressseries