Bedroom fire victim offers advice to electric blanket users

Bedroom fire victim offers advice to electric blanket users

Reporter:

Amanda Hall

comments 0
Bedroom fire victim offers advice to electric blanket users

A trainee primary school teacher who woke-up to find her bed on fire in Maidenhead is warning others about the dangers of electric blankets.

Laura Mack said she didn't realise the blankets needed servicing regularly before one burst into flames and set fire to a mattress as she slept.

"It was like something out of an episode of EastEnders, you never think these things will happen to you," said the 22-year-old.

"It was horrible and I've struggled to sleep since."

Laura, of Boulters Lock, was staying with her boyfriend in Woodstock Close when the blaze broke out on Friday last week.

The couple managed to douse the flames before calling the fire service at 2.30am.

They were treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns but Laura said the situation could have been 'much worse'.

"I want to urge people to get their electric blankets serviced regularly because we had no idea," she said.

She praised Maidenhead fire crews who helped the couple and fitted both of their houses with new smoke alarms.

She added she has also been spreading the message of fire safety to pupils at the school where she is training in Amersham.

Comments

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Shared

Most Commented

Photo Galleries

Top Ten Articles