Sexual attacks have increased in the Royal Borough

Sexual attacks have increased in the Royal Borough

Reporter:

Justin Burns

comments 0
Sexual attacks have increased in the Royal Borough
Commander for Windsor and Maidenhead Superintendent Dave Gilbert

Sexual attacks in the Royal Borough shot up 22.1 per cent last year - but there are 'no serial rapists' on the loose, the top cop has said.

Commander for Windsor and Maidenhead Superintendent Dave Gilbert was speaking at the Royal Borough's crime and disorder and scrutiny panel last night.

The biggest concern for panellists was the rise in serious sexual offences, which rose to 83 from 68 (22.1 per cent). There were 21 rapes - an increase of 31.3 per cent compared to the previous year.

Supt Gilbert also told panel members 72 per cent of the 2,292 serious acquisitive crimes from April 1, 2011 to March 31 this year, were carried out by 'travelling criminals' from Slough and other areas.

He said the total number of crimes in the borough dropped by 14.3 per cent to 10,743 offences - down from 12,534 in 2010/11.

Supt Gilbert said: "We have no serial rapists and we have had quite a few rapes reported where we were unable to prove or disprove if they have happened.

"But we have not get any serial patterns of offending."

Crimes dropping were house burglaries by eight per cent to 806 from 876, theft of vehicle by 33.2 per cent to 167 from 250 and theft from vehicle 22 per cent to 1,210 from 1,551.

Supt Gilbert said the force's top 10 offender hit-list has been 'very successful' and had helped reduce crime figures.

He added he was 'confident' police will bring crime down further and initiatives such as a burglary team mapping burglaries will aid the force's crime reduction targets next year.

Comments

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Shared

Most Commented

Photo Galleries

Top Ten Articles

Update: Man dies following M4 crash

Update: Man dies following M4 crash

The crash, which took place at about 7am today (Thursday), involved three vehicles. One man sadly died as a result of the collision and his next of kin have been informed.