06:37AM, Wednesday 29 February 2012
A widower has raised more than £1,100 for an Alzheimer's support charity after his wife died with the disease in January.
John Davie, of Cadwell Drive, Maidenhead, met his wife Cath at the Salvation Army (SA) in East Road.
The couple married in 1999 in the Salvation Army Hall and Cath, who was 78 when she died on January 15, had been in the SA for most of her life.
She was born in Wales and grew up in Dudley where her family were active members of the SA. Cath trained as an officer in 1956 and served around London before a back injury forced her to resign in 1964.
She then worked as an ECG operator in Wexham Park, King Edward and Heatherwood Hospitals and later joined House of Fraser as personnel manager in the Oxford Street store, a job she loved.
After retirement she qualified as a counsellor, as well as working part time at Laura Ashley in Windsor and doing voluntary work for Age Concern. For many years she was a Salvation Army youth worker, songster, songster sergeant, assistant young people’s sergeant major and Sunday school teacher.
She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease and bowel cancer, and suffered a mini stroke last year before she moved to Sandown Park Care Home, Windsor, in September.
John, 72, said Cath never lost her 'fighting spirit'.
He said: "She would ‘never give in’ which showed when she still insisted that she walk back to the car from Maidenhead albeit she walked at a much reduced pace. She would not hear of sitting in a wheelchair."
Her funeral at the Salvation Army was packed and the SA band played. John, a former music teacher who runs the SA junior band, wrote to Cath's friends and family to appeal for donations to Alzheimers Dementia Support (ADS).
He is delighted with the £1,130 raised in her memory and is working on future fundraising ideas.
ADS was set up in October and offers two advice and support helplines, drop-in centres and lunch clubs for people with dementia and their carers in Maidenhead, Windsor and Slough.
Top Ten Articles
Two Slough men who launched an ‘unprovoked attack’ on a man and a woman in Maidenhead town centre have been sentenced to four and a half years in prison.