Smoke fills shop basement after electrical fault

Smoke fills shop basement after electrical fault

Reporter:

Nick Mayo

comments 0
Smoke fills shop basement after electrical fault

An electrical fault in a toilet pump led to smoke filling the basement at a Maidenhead High Street health shop.

Firefighters from Maidenhead were called out to reports of smoke in the basement at Holland and Barrett today at noon.

Two appliances from green watch went to the scene and firefighters put up a cordon around the shop, taking in a fairground ride as well.

A crowd gathered to watch as the crews investigated.

Paul Jones, station commander at Maidenhead, said: "On arrival there was a strong smell of smoke coming from the basement. Two firefighters with breathing apparatus went down into the basement to explore."

They identified an electrical fault in the macerator pump in the men's toilet and isolated it.

A positive pressure ventilation fan was then used to clear all the smoke and the shop was able to re-open about 12.35pm.

A member of staff at the shop said they opened the stockroom door and saw lots of smoke and immediately called the fire brigade.

Commander Jones added: "If you do come across any smoke, please don't delay. Call 999, get the fire brigade out and get out and wait.

"It could have been a lot worse. You don't want poisonous fumes from smoke coming up stairs and filling the shop."

Comments

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Shared

Most Commented

Top Ten Articles