Facilities at the Magnet due to reopen after fire causes loss of power

Facilities at the Magnet due to reopen after fire causes loss of power

Reporter:

Lucy Golding

comments 0
Facilities at the Magnet due to reopen after fire causes loss of power

A fire at the Magnet Leisure Centre caused the five-day closure of part of its new £70,000 health suite less than two weeks after it officially opened.



One crew from Maidenhead was called to the centre in Holmanleaze on Friday after a small fire broke out in the Bodyzone gym caused by a fault with an electrical distribution board.

The loss of electricity meant the Magnet's sauna and steam room, part of the new health suite unveiled to the public on Thursday, January 9, have been out of action since Fridayand is expected to open again today.

The fire also caused some of the gym's treadmills to lose power.

All other equipment continued operating and the rest of the leisure centre has been open for business as usual.

Electricians worked through Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night to fix the problem.

About 400 people were in the building at the time of the fire and had to be evacuated.

Swimmers were provided with blankets and directed to congregate in the neighbouring Tenpin Bowling building.

No one was injured.

Centre manager Chris Hall said: "It was quite bad timing because it is our busiest time of the year, it wasn't ideal.

"We'd like to thank our members for their patience.

"They realise that these things happen and they are being very understanding.

"We are thinking of things we can do to say thank you."

Comments

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Shared

Most Commented

Top Ten Articles