02:12AM, Thursday 24 January 2013
The chairman of the Bray Action Group (BRAG) has said the decision to relocate Oldfield Primary School has been 'steamrolled forward' and vows to keep battling against the plans.
Mike Parkinson, son of TV chat show host Sir Michael Parkinson, helped form BRAG as a result of the decision by the Royal Borough last year to relocate the Chiltern Road school onto greenbelt land off Bray Road.
The group now consists of about 100 campaigners who want to halt the move.
"We have genuine concerns about this decision and its implications," said Mike.
"We are fairly certain there are a number of mistakes being made that are fundamentally not resolvable. We have got a strong case in that sense."
The Royal Borough has taken a decision to expand Oldfield Primary School to cope with the increased number of children living in the area.
The new site is scheduled to open in September 2014 with construction work due to start this summer, subject to planning approval being granted.
But opposition to the plans continues to hang over the project and threatens to delay the move.
"We are very well aware the decision to extend a school like Oldfield is absolutely what the school requires," added Mike.
"Our objection is that we just feel the choice of site is flawed and we feel there are a number of areas we can challenge."
The Royal Borough chose the Bray Road location out of a list of three potential sites.
The Fisheries Estate homeowner admits he is aware there is some ill-feeling towards the group but believes they are acting in everyone's best interests.
"We want excellent schools in Maidenhead but that cannot be done at the expense of a wrong decision," he added.
"We honestly will mount very strong opposition backed with firm evidence and we want the council to think again."
The Royal Borough renewed its commitment to relocating the school and said design plans for the new site are well underway.
A planning application is expected to be submitted in the Spring.
Top Ten Articles
Two Slough men who launched an ‘unprovoked attack’ on a man and a woman in Maidenhead town centre have been sentenced to four and a half years in prison.