02:00PM, Friday 12 May 2017
Neil Baker admitted they’re having to be coy about their plans to improve the Rebels squad over the summer, but he and Jon Underwood are confident improvements will be made.
The first tranch of players leaving the club were announced last week and Baker admitted there may be one or two more departures from last season’s squad.
He said they’re not planning on making a big song and dance about the players they’re looking to draw in but added that the Rebels would be seen as a good option for some.
“We’ve been very busy but it’s nothing I can really report on at this time,” said Baker.
“Nothing has been finalised at the moment. We’ve got to speak with the chairman and speak with existing players and new players, so there’s lots going on.
“We’re having to be a little bit coy about one or two players. It’s a difficult time. There’s been a lot of interest in some of our players as you might imagine. We would expect that after the season we’ve had and have to deal with it. But we should know more in two or three weeks time.”
Pre-season could come around with the Rebels still looking to strengthen in one or two areas, but Baker and Underwood are pretty relaxed about the situation.
Baker said: “We’ll probably be going into pre-season with one or two more players looking to come in potentially.
“At that point we’ll probably be in a stronger position for players who’ve maybe looked to a Conference South club and then have to look at other options. But we’re not going to over analyse it and are fairly relaxed about it.
“We’ve got lots to do before June.
“Only time will tell (if we can persuade players to come to Slough). We’re a good option with the facilities we’ve got here and the fan base but, as you know, that’s not the be all and end all for players. There are other things for players to think about and we’ve just got to bide our time. We’re confident we can get the right players in and are hopeful of improving the squad.”
For the management team it’s a very busy time, but they’re reluctant to say too much now with players not able to sign league forms until July 1.
“Unless players are being put under contract there’s no point in shouting about it,” said Baker.
“We can’t sign players until July 1 and there’s not an awful lot of point shouting about it (who’s coming and staying) until then.
“We’re doing lots of work, making lots of calls, talking to a lot of people. But we’ve got a good squad of players so we don’t think we need to do lots. There may be other changes, perhaps one or two others (to go).”
Top Ten Articles
Two Slough men who launched an ‘unprovoked attack’ on a man and a woman in Maidenhead town centre have been sentenced to four and a half years in prison.