12:00PM, Thursday 08 December 2016
A planning application for a Hindu community centre in Boulters Lock has been temporarily withdrawn after the Environment Agency objected to it.
The application from the Hindu Society, which had objections from some residents near to the site in Lower Cookham Road and a petition opposing it which attracted more than 400 signatures, was due to be decided on by the council by Thursday, December 15.
However, by Friday December 2, it was withdrawn.
Some residents nearby opposed it, with many citing parking concerns in what they believed to be already packed roads.
A report from the Royal Borough’s Highways Development Control team suggested there was ‘ambiguity’ in the application, which meant it could not support the application until further information was provided.
The Environment Agency objected on the grounds there was no flood risk assessment, despite the site being located in flood zones.
President of the Hindu Society Chander Malhotra said the application had been withdrawn because some paperwork had not been included in the application, despite all the necessary surveys being completed.
He was liaising with TP Architects over submitting a new application, though he did not yet know a timeframe.
“Once they have all the information there, they are going to let me know,” he said.
The proposals for the centre, based on land adjacent to the car park at Boulters Lock, included plans for 13 car parking spaces.
However, some residents nearby opposed it, with many citing parking concerns in what they believed to be already packed roads.
Cllr Dudley said he was ‘concerned’ when he looked at the application, but remained ‘extremely supportive of the Hindu Community having a place to meet’.
However, any application would need to go through ‘due process’ in the planning procedure, he added.
Residents opposing the plans formed a group to lodge a rival bid for the land, however, nobody from Boulters Riverside Community Interest Company was able to comment.
Top Ten Articles
Two Slough men who launched an ‘unprovoked attack’ on a man and a woman in Maidenhead town centre have been sentenced to four and a half years in prison.