03:00PM, Saturday 12 November 2016
Tension is hotting up ahead of this year’s Advertiser Cracker Challenge, with reigning champions the Shanly Group vowing to defend their crown.
And, as mindgames started early between the rival camps, the house-building firm’s team said they wouldn’t be fazed by attempts to derail their focus.
Their defiance came after last week’s announcement of Team ’Tiser’s efforts to end a barren run in the charity contest with the signing of Scouse superstar Stephen Delahunty.
Tamra Booth, operations director for the Shanly Group, said: “As reigning champs of the Cracker Challenge, we are looking to retain our title this year.
“The Tiser team have thrown down the gauntlet and attempted to strike fear into the hearts of our athletes with the announcement of their super signing – but we aren’t fazed.
“Our athletes are fighters and coming second is simply not an option.”
The annual competition, to be held at the Magnet Leisure Centre on Wednesday, December 14, sees teams from a host of businesses and organisations go head-to-head in a range of events, including an inflatable assault course, pillow wars and dart tag.
The money raised is used to fund the Advertiser’s Cracker Appeal, which pays for Christmas parties and trips for pensioners’ clubs and shel-tered housing schemes in and around Maidenhead, as well as other groups working with children.
Last year’s appeal raised £10,408, which helped 37 organisations and 2,220 people.
This year’s appeal launched in the summer with the Advertiser Charity Challenge, which raised £1,100.
Tamra added: “We love getting involved in community events and, through our charitable arm, the Shanly Foundation, we have supported the Cracker Appeal for a number of years.
“The Cracker Appeal supports so many groups and organisations at a time when they need it most and we are very glad to be able to help.”
The cost to enter in £100 per team of up to 10 competitors and £50 per table for the post-contest buffet and quiz.
Call Louisa Mace on 01628 678219 or email email@example.com for more details.
Top Ten Articles
Two Slough men who launched an ‘unprovoked attack’ on a man and a woman in Maidenhead town centre have been sentenced to four and a half years in prison.