All the latest Maidenhead news

Baylis Media Ltd
Friday 1 July 2016 7:04 AM

Other Local Football Clubs

17:43 Monday 04 January 2016 

Holyport salvage a point against Headington Amateurs thanks to late Rake penalty

Paul Rake rescued a draw from the penalty spot
Paul Rake rescued a draw from the penalty spot

Headington Amateurs 1, Holyport 1

While never playing to their full potential, Holyport displayed their never say die spirit to earn a point at Headington Amateurs through Paul Rake’s late penalty on Saturday.  

The points looked to be headed the way of the home side after a mistake from Port’s keeper Kyle Bradley led to them taking a second half lead.

But in the only Hellenic Division 1 East match to take place on a rain-sodden Saturday, Port levelled in the dying moments thanks to Rake’s spot kick after a rash challenge on Lee Ovens by the Amateurs’ keeper.

Barry Rake’s side went into Saturday’s league match just five points adrift of fifth placed Headington and looking to keep pace with the promotion challenging teams above them.

Chances came for both sides in an end-to-end match but Headington took the lead with 20 minutes to play when Bradley got his feet caught up in the cloggy ground attempting to clear the ball and Headington’s forward nipped it past him and rolled it into an empty net.  

The visitors might have been awarded two penalties before the referee finally pointed to the spot in the closing stages. The first appeal came when Adam Wyatt’s run into the box was obstructed and a clumsy kick on Dale Wright then prevented him from getting a shot away on goal.

Neither was given and Headington might have wrapped up the win when they broke quickly. Bradley was rounded once again but this time the striker could only muster a tame shot into the side netting from a tight angle.

Port pressed and were unlucky to see a devilish ball into the box hacked clear by the Headington defence with Port’s strikers closing in, but just when it seemed time was against them Port they were awarded a penalty for a bizarre foul on Ovens. The keeper appeared to have a simple clearance but body checked Ovens as he went for the ball in the box and Holyport were gifted a late lifeline, which Rake gratefully accepted.

The manager’s son kept his cool, sending the keeper the wrong way from 12 yards to earn a 1-1 draw and stretch Port’s unbeaten run to five matches.

Next up for Port is a double header against Old Woodstock Town, with the sides meeting first in the supplementary cup this weekend and then in the league the following week.

< Back