All the latest Maidenhead news

Baylis Media Ltd
Wednesday 29 June 2016 8:52 PM

Maidenhead United FC News

17:21 Sunday 04 January 2015  Written by Dan Darlington

Match report: Maidenhead United and Bath City share the spoils after game of two halves


Maidenhead United's Adrian Clifton battles for the ball during the 1-0 defeat to Basingstoke Town
Adrian Clifton

A dominant first half display from Maidenhead United could only muster a point as Ross Stearn’s late free-kick saw Bath City escape York Road with a share of the spoils.

The Magpies took the lead through Adrian Clifton’s low shot which fizzed past Jason Mellor from the edge of the area in the fourth minute.

From that moment on it was one-way traffic as United produced some of their best attacking play of the season to put City's ponderous defence under siege.  

Clifton saw a downward header from Danny Green's free kick clawed away by Mellor in the 27th minute and Jonathan Hippolyte tested Mellor with two well struck efforts. 

The first, a powerful shot from Green's lay off was beaten away by Mellor, and his second attempt was also smothered by Mellor after an excellent run from strike partner Lanre Azeez.

Earlier in the half Hippolyte, whose inclusion in the side had raised a few eyebrows, lifted a shot wide of the post from Devante McKain's through ball from defence.

Harry Pritchard should also have done better when he lifted Green’s cut back over the bar in the 36th minute.

The best City could muster was a low shot from Stearn that was blocked by Pritchard at full stretch in the 20th minute.

However, City just about deserved their point after a second half rally that culminated in Stearn's excellent free kick.

Stearn blasted over at the far post in the 50th minute after United keeper Will Britt flapped at a cross.

Ex-Magpie Dave Pratt, so often the scourge of Maidenhead, was then a whisker away with a shot on the turn in the 60th minute.

Hippolyte and Azeez were replaced by Dave Tarpey and David Rogalski in the 60th minute and United lost a little of their attacking momentum following their withdrawal. Both Hippolyte and Azeez more than justified their call ups to the starting XI after impressive performances.

United defended manfully, with Eddie Hutchinson excellent in a holding midfield role, but Britt could only palm Stearn’s powerfully struck free-kick into the net as City equalised in the 79th minute.

It could have been worse for the home side when substitute Nick McCootie ran through but his shot was saved by the legs of Britt as Bath sought to snatch all three points. 

Man of the match: Eddie Hutchinson (Maidenhead)

Referee: Ian Fissenden

Attendance: 321

Maidenhead United team: Britt, McKain, Pritchard, Upward, Nisbet (c), Downer, Green, Clifton, Hutchinson (Tison-Lascaris 84), Hippolyte (Rogalski, 60), Azeez (Tarpey, 60). Subs not used: Putnins, Erskine.

Bath City team: Mellor, Bowman, Simpson, Keary (Watkins 45), Walsh (Gallinagh 45), Ball, Allen (McCootie 65), Kington, Pratt, Stearn, Artus. Subs not used: Adelsbury, Rollo.

< Back